WELCOME TO OUR WORLD!!!

Welcome to our journey of love, living in the face of loss and just plain living. We've experienced the greatest loss a parent can face--the loss our our baby daughter, Sylvia. She flew to Heaven due to complications of congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) on 2/26/09. We have two "Earth Angel" children, Will and Stella. They have been a great help on this journey. We live a blessed rich life in spite of our loss. We are lucky to be parents to such special children. They are our life. Welcome to our life!

Blog Archive

Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Different Child

Will and Stella continue to amaze me. They along with their daddy are my life! I love them so! Favorite Will moment of the week: While at the circus, one act had mini "rainbow" ponies. Right away Will asked me "Where's the purple, mommy?" Indeed that was the only color missing from the ponies! I thought that was quite an observation! Fave Stella moment--When I get home each day and she is handed to me and quiets upon my touch! My girl and I share an unbreakable bond! Glad to know I bring someone comfort:)
I wanted to share this poem. My Aunt Pat sent this with my parents to give to me the eve prior to her birth. I read it then. I read it to her in the hospital. I will read it to her again. Today I came across the poem again. It's a great one. I know it wasn't written specifically for Stella, but man it feels like it was.

"A Different Child" by Pandora Diane MacMillan
A different child,
People notice
There's a special glow around you.

You grow
Surrounded by love,
Never doubting that you are wanted;
Only look at the pride and joy
In your mother and father's eyes.

And if sometimes
Between the smiles
There's a trace of tears,
One day you'll understand

You'll understand
There was another child
A different child
Who was in their hopes and dreams.

That child will never outgrow the baby clothes
That child will never keep them up at night
In fact, that child will never be any trouble at all.

Except sometimes, in a silent moment,
When mother and father miss so much
That different child.

May hope and love wrap you warmly
And may you learn the lesson forever
How infintely precious
How infintely fragile
Is this life on earth.

One day, as a young woman
You may see another mother's tears
Another father's silent grief
Then you, and you alone
Will understand and offer the greatest comfort.

When all hope seems lost,
You will tell them
With great compassion,

"I know how you feel.
I'm only here
Because my mother tried again."

You are a gift from God, dear Stella! You are the best surprise of my life! You are meant to be right here with us. For that, we are so thankful!
Today I bought Stella a new bib. It says "I love my big brother." While Stella can't actually say this, Will makes no bones about loving her. It is so sweet. Their interactions are so sweet. They make my heart so happy! This weekend we are heading to the farm. Will is excited to ride Grandpa's tractor and have some of grandma's cookies! Thanks Aunt Pat for the lovely poem! I don't think I would have found this without you. I plan on taking it to SHARE next week to share.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I love this poem! :) I was about to cry right here at my laptop. I want to think you so much for sharing your life stories with me! I'm so glad I've gotten to know your family, especially Sylvia.

    The other day I was listening to the Haag family's song and I began writing a little poem for Sylvia. I thought I'd share it with you. It's called, "Sylvia's Walk"

    Today I took a walk with Jesus

    I glanced down on the Earth and saw two children playing,
    A Mommy and a Daddy were with them.
    I looked up at Jesus and asked,
    “Can I go play with them?”

    Jesus smiled and said,

    “They may not see you, but don’t let that worry you,
    For in their hearts you are not forgotten.

    You may dance with them, yet they might not see you twirl,
    But they will feel you near.

    You may sing beside them, yet they might not hear you,
    But they will hear the whistle of the wind.

    You may laugh with them, yet they might not feel your joy,
    But they will feel your unfading love for them that will last forever.”

    ReplyDelete